Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Your Skill

I play the piano Wednesday nights at my church for the worship service. Until about 3 months ago I wasn't that great at improvising hymns, and so it was basically a banging of every note to the ear! I listened to the piano player on Sunday mornings and Sunday evenings, and it discouraged me because she was so GREAT and I was so NOT GREAT!!! Of course, my Mom would encourage me, "Honey, she's been playing piano since she was little, through college, and you've only been playing for three years." I well understood, not to mention that Karen is the most amazing piano player I've ever seen in my life (she's better than Bach or Liszt - TRULY!) And, I'll say it, I am not a practical person! Impractical people don't often think practically. I was thinking impatiently and hastily. So, even though I was getting the best training, and slowly improving, I still didn't look forward to banging every Wednesday night. While Karen was teaching me how to improvise, and I was being self-pityish ("I'll never get it!"), I read a verse out of Psalm 33.

"Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright...Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise." Ps. 33:1 & 3

Doesn't say anything about piano in there, but it spoke to my heart, telling me to keep on going. Keep trying and have fun doing it! Why? Because it says to play skilfully, with a loud noise!!! Well, I had the loud part down, but skilfully? Oh yeah, aren't we supposed to give our best to God? I hadn't reached my full potential at that time, and I'm still improving on some things, but while sitting there, sulking about my sorry state, I could have been challenging myself to move up! When I read that verse, I thought, "Shame on you! get up there and practice!" So I did. And now, I won't lie (haha), I'm not that bad on the piano!

So I want to encourage y'all to give of your very best to the Master, and to put forth all your skill for His glory. Our potential is never complete - we'll never arrive, so keep giving and aim high! Don't wallow in self-pity, because it's a sorry state, and believe me - you'll regret it!
It doesn't matter whether it's piano, singing, archery, drawing, or another talent you may possess... even learning to talk to people. Give the Lord your best, and He'll bless you. What was my blessing? Enjoying every second! Now I'm working on the guitar...

No comments:

Post a Comment